View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008, 07:32 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citispider View Post
This is very interesting stuff in regards to Sharks. I moved to Florida about a year and half ago. I live in Coral Springs and have been kiting in Mathseson all this time.
I have been wanting to go to Delray since its a shorter commute, but this shark business is spooky. Are sharks around here abundant during the Spring?
Regarding sharks, there never has been a fatal shark attack on a kiter, ever, to my knowledge. I have heard about six attacks worldwide over the last 8 years, only one of which was considered serious but not life threatening. There have been dozens and dozens of riders lost to hazardous wind and hundreds more injured. Tragically, I heard of another one today. It is best to keep things in perspective and watchout for the greater threat. At the same time, I have always assumed that there are sharks within sensory range anytime I have gone in the water off SE Florida over almost four decades.

The spinner migration is an annual thing, likely has been for millennia. The year this thread was started was unusual with so many so close to the beach for so long. This year I never saw one spinner while kiting instead of dozens or hundreds per hour. Despite that, they usually ignored riders except near sunset or if someone stayed in the water for an extended period of time. I think I've seen sharks at other times of the year while kiting off Palm Beach Cty, but rarely in the areas I ride including Delray. So, bottom line, I wouldn't worry about it at Delray, at least outside of a nearshore mass migration which in itself is somewhat rare. When they were running nearshore I think it went on for less than seven days.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 12-11-2008 at 07:52 PM.