View Single Post
Old 03-21-2007, 08:04 AM

Default Close Encounter

[ Mood: Shocked ] 3-20-07

Super fun session this afternoon! Great surf 3-5ft East power chop. I saw some really NICE rights (Head high to Overhead drops) on the south side of the Pier. The surfers were stoked! I had the entire North side (with several chunky outside sections) to myself, So I was stoked

I do believe I almost became "that" kiteboarder that was bitten by a shark. I was 40yards north of the pier and out by the end. It's probally 20-25ft depth out there. I pull a weak areial transition and sink a bit apon landing, as I power up to take off. I see this fish come up to the surface with speed from the direction my ass was just positioned in. Off to the side it darts showing it's size/shape and med/light brown color and away I go.
While riding away I think to myself was it a snook (oh how I wish it was) I knew it wasn't, Not at close to 6ft in length. Perhaps all the Bird activity that was out in 30-40ft of water should have been a clue to me.
It was defanitly a shark, the last few weeks we've had an annual migration of Black Tip (spinner) Sharks heading North and with this weeks rough conditions the water has been churned up. Glad he opted not to take a bite

Put it out of my mind and kited on! Definatly a FUN session on the 9m & 127
Kited from 5:30 to 7:30