View Single Post
Old 03-11-2008, 08:49 PM
E-Bone

I went to Ho' Depot, paid $5 or so for a piece of PVC tubing just small enough to fit in my chicken loop, had the Ho' Depot guy cut it in to several pieces about three feet long for free, bought a $10.00 rubber mallet, and I was good to go.

Pound the PVC into the ground at a slight angle away from the direction to which you will be bringing the kite to the edge of the window. Put the chicken loop on the PVC once you rig. Walk the kite to the EDGE of the window, just like you are launching someone. Hold on to the kite until it stops moving forward (or falling backward) and make sure the lines are straight and the kite is sitting is content to stay there on its edge without launching.

Then run to the PVC and your bar, attach your leash, take the chicken loop and put it on the harness hook, and launch. Reverse the process for landing. It's probably best to learn how to do this with a big kite in light but steady wind. I used to do this all the time when I showed up at a weekday session at the Skyway and everyone else was working.

Don't do this when the wind is howling. This method is not reliable with small kites and gusty, high wind and the kite can move too much in a gust or lull, tumble, and then you (and maybe bystanders) are screwed. Don't learn this high wind lesson the hard way.