View Single Post
Old 03-14-2007, 11:36 PM

Default All wrapped up

I have been watching this one as well, and it is an interesting topic. As an instructor, it is important to let students know that even though the new kite designs are safer, it doesn't mean that accidents won't happen. And, I agree with Paul, that you still have to be careful and aware, especially in hardcore conditions. It is always a great idea to practice self-rescue, and know your equipment. Also, practice your releases, whatever kite you use, and be able to execute your personal exit strategy at a moment's notice.

I have been flying the Ozone Instinct for almost a year now, which is a 5-line hybrid with no bridle. The kite does have a span line that goes between the wing tips, and I have had either the span line or a flying line get caught around the wingtip before, similar to what happened with this bridle. Luckily, I was in light winds, so no problem, but I can see where it could cause the kite to spin in windier conditions.

I read below where another rider had a problem with an Instinct. I have noticed that when the kite is completely depowered it does take alot of bar input to steer the kite. I agree that the kite should be used within it's wind range. While flat kites do depower more than traditional C-shape kites when sheeted out, if you come unhooked or the kite suddenly goes full power, they have substantially more power. It is also a good idea to hold the bar near the middle when on land to avoid sudden movements with the kite. If you are within the wind range of a particular kite, pulling the adjustment strap only halfway should be enough to sufficiently depower the kite and still give you plenty of kite control to steer. If you have to pull your depower strap all the way in, you are probably flying too big a kite for the conditions.

Oh, and by the way, Charlie is a great wave rider at Shacks in PR. But he is still the flying chicken, "Pollito", and I don't know if I would ask him for safety advice! He does have the record for most grabs and funky dance moves in a single jump though.