View Single Post
Old 03-02-2007, 06:20 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Let me see if I can summarize a general approach at this point for flat kites:

1. Carefully preflight, including making sure pulleys move easily and lines aren't worn, your leading edge, batten pressures are adequate, check proper attachment, run down the lines looking for twists, tangles, knots, wear/cuts, etc.. **

2. Make sure your helper/launcher knows what to do, signals for doing it and what to look for.

3. The pilot attaches his leash to the appropriate spot for his kite system for nearshore conditions. (read the manufacturers directions, try it out in lighter conditions, think carefully about how you are going to do this)

4. Both guys get in position, the helper picks the kite up and holds it. (I use one arm curved over my head in a "C shape" to signal this). Kite closest to the water is advisable in most but perhaps not all launch areas.

5. The pilot checks system, down the lines, makes sure the leading edge lines form a nice Vee, the trailing edge lines stay on the outside, bridles seem to be right and the kite has a proper shape.

6. The helper/launcher checks system, looks at all the bridles, makes sure the leading edge lines converge in a vee at the pilot, back lines stay outside, kite is shaped properly and feels like it "wants" to take off. If not, why not?

7. Pilot gives thumbs up, helper replies with thumbs up if appropriate other wise shakes head no or holds up a fist. The pilot can use these same signals, don't rely upon verbal communication. If the helper doesn't like the feel of things he can pop the kite over on the leading edge to deal with it. Nothing says he has to launch.

8. Helper starts to let kite go making sure it wants to fly and is ready to grab it if not. He DOESN'T throw it, drop it or watch it roll down the beach. He stays ready to help, waits to see that the kite is flying and pilot is moving on.

9. Pilot is ready/practiced to abort, sheet out totally, DON"T hold bar in too long. Spinning lines can disable depowering at times. Be ready and practiced to release your leash attachment to your body if necessary. Go over this stuff in advance to try to avoid FREEZING.

10. If your kite goes down, worse rolls, expect possible tangles and disabling of depowering. Be ready to react early.

This is detailed, then again many (most) accidents are caused lack of attention to detail. Use your head and have fun or risk using your melon for a doorstop and spend time in the ER and/or kite repair.

Most of this should be second nature to most kiters and experienced helpers. This isn't exhaustive, nor specific to all kite systems.

What have I left out that should be in a general checklist?

** More about flat or hybrid kite Preventive Maintenance (working to make stuff work better, longer) in the next SBC Kiteboard Magazine by the way.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 03-02-2007 at 08:15 AM.