Thread: Winter Kiting
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2009, 07:52 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Hey Rey,

Well we don't normally have the strong winds and waves of Santa Cruz. Then again, it is quite a bit warmer here and the white pointers visit very rarely.

From Orlando, depending on conditions, you could drive about an hour or so east to Ponce Inlet or about 2 1/2 hours west to Ft. DeSoto near St. Pete.. I would do a word search for "Orlando" and find other posts dealing with these options. There are some Intracoastal sheltered waters lacking waves that might work for your wife around Cocoa Beach and other areas with lessor waves often at DeSoto.

In Ft. Lauderdale, the launch there is for upwind riders only and won't be suitable for your wife. You might consider running down to the Miami Flats for a sea taxi run out to some real nice conditions (shallow, calm, warm and wide open). Or, head down to the Keys. You won't be down in the SE for very long, hopefully you'll have wind but it may not happen in just a few days depending on the cold fronts.

For what it is worth Rey, I would advise hooking your wife up with a pro instructor. I've been riding 11 years, advise various training organizations, was certified to teach seven years ago and still would be reluctant to instruct my wife. Not because we wouldn't get along either, just because it is that important a process. Something to think about.

For board rentals, talk to some of the shops or schools in the area you are going to be in and see what you can work out. I am not that familiar with the current Caution line of kites. Are those high depower C kites? Best advise is to bring a wide quiver, particularly given two riders differing by 50 lbs.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi