View Single Post
Old 08-05-2006, 10:43 AM

Ok since I made up this topic I’ll be the first to fess up.
it’s during my infant almost still in the womb stages of kite baording and
at the time ,TO MY KNOWLEDGE! I was the only one on the island do this. Coming from a Sailing, beginner windsurfing, water and beginner snow
skiing and wake boarding back ground I thought anything dealing with
water and boards it’s nothing to learn. The very first time i saw a kite boarder
I think it’s was in 01 but whatever year seeing it turned my
world in side out,but,that’s another story. I bought my first kite and trainer Dvd, Paul Mentas wha cha ma call it,but I was like,” I don’t need no stinking instructional dvd “ so I put it under my bed a little 2 line trainer kite no more than 3m came with the dvd. I flew that thing for months even bought a mongoose mountain board. I had mastered flying that thing so I bought my kite package, a 12m Cab 02 Acces complete, seat harness, a razor sharp 152 Cab pranksta board. Now, mind you, I’ve never seen a four line kite so setting it up took over an hr with 2 other sailors brains involved. This is the end result of the set up, no safety release line, we thought the raw red back line was the safety, so I had one of my friends near me to pull the red back line if anything goes wrong, putting the end tip of the circle line to form a pig tail wasn’t knowledge for
me so I just took the line that had the circle and put in around the line that had the knot
at the end. I remember that day it was 15-20 knots I had to cancel
my sailing lesson and it was a very cloudy and rainy day so, none of the guest at the Radisson was on the beach(thank god) except a little old woman under a beach hunt. 12m kite 15-20knots launching straight down wind. Can you imagine what happen next, well,
when I pulled back to bring the kite of the ground I was pull about 15-20ft in the air and brought back down(hard) dragged about 100 - 150ft through and under the sand,I missed the part wooden and part concrete wedding gazebo by inches but I didn’t
let go the bar .Finally that half ass set up and friend pulling so hard on the red line until blood ended up saving my life
the kite came down and exploded on top of the beach hunt the old woman was under, I swear the amount of speed and force that kite came down with if she wasn’t under that thing she was going to be seriously injured or killed . The end result from the whole thing, I had sand everywhere on my body,my friend right hand need serious first aid ,my right foot was messed up for days and I couldn’t stop trembling for days. I went under my bed and started watching that, stinking instructional dvd 2 years
later ya!da!ya!da!ya!da! i finally learned the sport.

i'll post the other blunder later