View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007, 12:36 PM
Skyway Scott

I will do the car one, feel free to floor it, too. Turn a huge wide turn, where the guy getting pulled ends up in the water after the drag . Sounds like fun. Just don't break anyone's neck if it's obvious they can't get free.

The QR is going to work 80% of the time, unhooking probably won't work but maybe 5% (if you are Billy Parker strong), is my bet. I am talking about huge force scenarios, btw. The kind that you want to end, quickly.
Yeah, I can pull of of my CL in a normal force situation, but not huge force scenarios.
I once got dragged more than 200 yards down NB on a 16m C when a cold front "broke through" to 25 knots. It was blowing about 13, prior. It felt like I was getting pulled behind a 1,000 pound train going solid 15 knots. I wasn't going to stop the train and I couldn't pull my body toward it fast enough to develop any "workable" slack.

This was before QR's were around. I was pulling with all my might on the CL and also pulling on the center lines for over 30 seconds, with the kite at the extreme edge of the window and bouncing off the sand.
I never even so much as budged the CL from my spreader hook.

It was a pretty helpless feeling. I bought a snap shackle the next day. (Better than no QR).
I use to ride with a snap shackle not because I was afraid of coming out of the loop, btw, quite the opposite.
I was afraid of not coming out when it gusted really high, or when my kite did the loop of death.

I finally was able to (gladly) put my kite (way down by the lagoon)in a tree to end the whole deal.
That really sucked double whammy, because that was the day a lot of windsurfers (who only sail NB) saw "kiting" for their first time. They were not impressed, my kite was toast, my ego was hurt, and my body wasn't doing so hot, either.