View Single Post
Old 04-15-2009, 05:18 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

It has been a couple of years but I got to thinking about Andros, just north of Fresh Creek along the Tongue of the Ocean in the Bahamas. Small Hope Bay Lodge has been a diving destination for decades. With clear viz. wall dives, blue holes, shark dives and more. It is also a pretty good kiting venue too and only about 55 minutes east of Florida. The land of three toed chickcharnies, sea duppys and AUTEC?

Here are some random shots from around the area. Here is an old lighthouse at the mouth of Fresh Creek. There is a barrier reef miles out bordering the drop off creating all this sheltered calmer water on the inside.

Small Hope Bay is a quiet but comfortable place. A good place to go to decompress and grab some quality water time be it above and/or below. These were shot in a calm period in July. The wind goes off and frequently too throughout the winter and spring I'm told. Flat water on the inside and waves ... not sure about waves. Maybe on the barrier reef.

Dick Birch started this place for diving in 1960. Can you imagine what the islands were like then? Even has a nudist blind of palm thatch on the water?

The early days (photo from smallhope.com). Hey can't be that old, I used to have one of those backpacks!

There's a tug wreck a mile or so offshore. Understand the captain sort of flipped out and had to be removed from the grounded vessel years back.

Check it out sometime, for a change of pace.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 04-15-2009 at 08:17 PM.