View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008, 02:27 PM

I just tried Jon's method of self landing for the first time today. I was using a 13 meter Bullaroo and the wind was blowing 20-25 mph during my attempt at about 2pm. I probably should have been on my 10 meter SB2 given the wind strength but I had started a downwinder on Miami Beach from 65th street at 10:00 and the wind was only blowing about 13 mph at the time.

Anyway, I had just gotten back to behind my apt building on 50th street and then decided to come in and land. I tried Jon's method and I grabbed the center two lines and pulled. The kite immediately depowered like it did in the video and came crashing down (not too hard) on its leading edge. Probelm was everytime the kite hit the ground it just relaunched again. I even tried pulling in on the top middle line (good thing I was wearing gloves) to try and position it on the beach right so it would stay but the kite kept relalunching , sometimes right in the power zone pulling me hard down the beach. I ended up landing it the way I always do and I do this a lot cause I usually ride alone.

Self Landing Method I use - I bring my kite down to the edge of the window on to the beach (facing the water always) - I let go of the bar completely - kite sits at the edge of the window and bounces around a bit but stays in the same general place. I detach my leash from OS handle or chicken loop (depending on where I had it during session). Then I unhook my chicken loop from the spreader bar and attach it to this fixed rope that serves as a barrier on the beach. (I use this rope caus its there but a lot of people use sand bags with a rope and hook or a 5 gallon paint bucket filled with sand, etc. you can be creative there). Once its securely attahced to the weighted object or post, I run down to the kite holding on to the top middle line. Get to the kite turn it over and your done. I also usually launch the exact same way but in reverse.

Anyway, thought I would share the method I use since it works well for me and people seem to be uninformed in self launching and landing. I would much rather use Jon's method and I am looking forward to trying it out with my SB2 tomorrow maybe. But as for the Bullaroo 13m I had a hard time getting the kite to sit properly and it just kept relaunching.

Good Luck out there.