Thread: Thursday nite
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008, 08:43 PM

Default night rides + tarpon = ?

I'm not being disrespectful, but don't you worry about the shadow people that time of night near the skyway? A friend of mine who used to dive for stone crabs under the skyway(when it was not a terrorist act) shot a video near some of the pilings, and I counted at least 10 bull sharks at one time. His taste for freshly caught stone crabs now relies on Billy's in Tierre Verde. Try not to look like a tarpon when you ride. Any one have any close shark encounters? I was taking a lesson last year in Islamorada with 7, standing on the sand flats, kite at 12 when 4 or five tarpon streaked past about ten feet from me, I remember thinking they must be chasing dinner, when I saw what was chasing them. Small hammerhead - 6 foot maybe. Water was clear and he knew what he was after so I continued with the ride, even tho I was falling a lot at the time. Later that night on the news, a guy was bitten by a shark in Islamorada. Seems the guy was doing his usual 9 pm swim to a half sunken boat. Got bitten 2 or 3 times and managed to get himself to his car and drive to a park ranger who got him help. B-rad probably knows this story better.