Thread: Opinions wanted
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 05:27 PM

I'm definitely going to do a little more research as to who to go out with. I called subtropic and they were exceptionally helpful and great, but because of my recent lack of diving, they require I take a refresher course and go with a divemaster. I have absolutely no problem diving with a divemaster for the minimal extra price($30). I actually think its a benefit as I'll be diving alone on what sounds like an advanced dive, and it's nice to know my buddy would be a DM and not some random dude that doesn't watch my back. Plus I'll be taking pictures and it would be nice to basically get a guided tour of the wreck. The requirement of a refresher course is a little excessive I feel though. I completely understand that their goal 100% is safety, but I think its a little much. I was certified about 15 years ago and advanced OW certified 12 years ago. Since then I have about 50 dives to 60 dives. I also took a refresher course 2 years ago because I was going on a trip out of the country and didn't want to be surprised by being told I couldn't dive at the resort. The concern that subtropic had was that I haven't had any dives deeper than 65-70 feet in about 4 years. Most of my dives have been about 50-60 lately, simply due to the location. I again understand their concern for safety but feel as though I have enough experience to safely dive guided by a divemaster without also having to take a refresher course there.
I actually considered just going on one of the shallow reef dives instead to avoid the whole headache, but I think I'll be disapointed.