View Single Post
Old 08-31-2006, 03:41 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI
You were smart to do a downwinder. It was LIGHT yesterday afternoon. Still, as you said it was good to get out all the same.

The squall line took its time coming across and arrived later than the radar suggested earlier in the day. We were driving home along A1A in Boca Raton last night and noticed all this dust, tons of it along a 1/2 mile section of road. There was no rain and it was dark so I couldn't see much about sky conditions although it was obvious the line was moving in around sunset. The rain did come but about 10 minutes later. There was a substantial gust front at the leading edge of the squall line.

I see NWS backed off the forecast for today, at least off PBC.

TODAY
SOUTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. WINDS AND SEAS HIGHER IN NUMEROUS SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS...ESPECIALLY THIS MORNING

It looks like the Keys are getting a LOT of squalls from the remains of Chris this morning from the images two posts above this one.

August sure can be a calm month, absent tropical systems. Try to find useable winds if you can while avoiding the squalls. Otherwise, the fall isn't that far off and there are always out of town wind trips if you can work them out.
I was just doing some reading about microbursts related to that near 90 kt. gust spike at the end of Palmetto in Boca Raton. The dust I described in this post earlier in the month is consistent with a microburst. Both events happened within a 1/4 mile of the same area but weeks apart! Microbursts can limit their area of impact to within a 2 mile diameter.

Storm season!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi