View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009, 06:15 AM

Default fisherman seek kiteboard rules .. flats been damaged

Love the slogan Brad and will order a shirt when they are available. I heard on the radio that the flats fishermen have in the last few years also fought with the jet ski,s and the blue water fishermen. In one day there are more snorkelers or fisherman in the keys than there are kiters the whole year. One cruise ship proboably disturbs more silt off the bottom when coming into harbour than all our kiteboarders would do in years. A decent wind tears up the seagrass in a few hours much more than we will proboably do in years.

We are definately very eco friendly, but we still need to educate fellow riders that come down here and do not know how to treat all our marine resources. A lot of our local kiters in Key West happen to also be flats guides and I have never heard complaints from any of them. I think a lot of this is plain jelousy , fishing is a battling industry in the Keys (too many fishermen, and too little customers) that and if you just look at the average size of the fish they are catching nowadays. (they are tiny) So fishing in the Keys is not that exciting anymore.

Now kiteboarding is a growing industry ,and the last few years we have had a lot of wind, so while they are sitting on the dock , we are going out kiting and this is pissing them off. I agree with you Brad, I also do not want a fight, but if that what it comes to I will be right next to you. (well about 90 miles south actually) but you get the point. Good luck.

Greg