View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 11:28 PM

Yeah, they're cool to ride over but not fun to get hit by one of them. There are 2 predominant species that I see here...the devil rays with a barb on their whip tail that burrow into the bottom and are hard to see, and the spotted rays which are "pelagic" with barb closer to the body, and swim more actively (perhaps less dangerous, but they can still get you). Both members of the shark family I believe - and preyed on by other sharks.

wow, I'm surprised at the sighting since the water has been so cool. Maybe the el Nino is throwing their migration off too. Normally I don't see many until early April, but I guess we are almost there. And yes, I think it is mating season soon.

FYI to all-
Watch where you step. If you get hit you need to get some hot water on the wound ASAP to denature the toxin and kill the pain. I would also suggest a visit to the doctor to make sure you don't have any broken stinger bits inside your foot/leg. You would not be unwise to start a course of antibiotics.

I got stung at Lassing Park a few years ago while doing a lesson (mid-April) and my foot became badly infected because I kept going back into the water day after day - You need to let it heal completely or risk complications.

When I was in the OBX last May we were doing a downwinder from Hatteras Village to Frisco and one of the guys got hit while riding, which was surprising.

If anyone knows more about these creatures, their habits, etc, I'd love to hear it.
rvillate@msn.com
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas