Thread: Im ready
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2006, 08:42 AM
Skyway Scott

I have found at -20 that I can do inverted tricks
I have been riding the 12m Contra in as litte as solid 10 knots up to 20 knots.
Last night was a perfect example. It started at 9 to 11 and I used a Glide (going upwind in current) then it picked up to about 17 to 20 and I just hopped on a smaller board (Skywalker 130).

The Contra is not the only bow that can do this. We have a local rider who uses his 12m Waroo just about every time he rides.

There is no way I could have rigged a C last night (me personally) for 10 and then held on to 20. I am not efficient enough to make a 14 work in 10 (Daryl is). I would need an 18. Then I'd get blown out in about 16 on it. The bow/hybrids definitely are cool for windranges.

The other thing I realized while riding last night : you can have more people on the water safely in tight quarters with bows. In the old days, having several people truly close in windy/gusty was asking for it, cuz someone was going to HAVE TO put their kite low to avoid getting tea-bagged at some point. If this was the upwind rider, it posed a quandry for that rider.

Now, even in 20 last night, someone is downwind of me 30 feet? I am litt? Big deal -- kite high, sheet out, no problem. Kind of cool and good for the sport, IMO