View Single Post
Old 04-12-2005, 10:04 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanic
Thanks for the great info.

I have another question:

What is the deal then at Ft. Lauderdale? I found info that says there is a 100 yd coridor. Does this mean that you need to stay within this area and then go out past a bouy or something? If so, I'm assuming that it's deep water past a bouy. Is it possible to ride back and forth within the coridor? is it shallow enough to touch ground? Just trying to get a clear picture of the situation. I might try and go up to Jupiter beach, it seems a bit easier on the beginner. I think I'll be fine once I get there, I just want to prepare for the conditions.

Any "iditot guide to ocean conditions" would be apprecitated. Haven't spent much time in the ocean.

Thanks,

K.
Ft. Lauderdale always has been an intermediate or stronger designated launch. It is just too small a launch, the road in just west and this time of year, you have thousands of tourists all over the place. Ft. Lauderdale access was banned once and largely thanks to the continuing efforts of Chris Kjos the permit holder for the concession located there and support by local riders, access has continued to the present day. Still there have been challenges to access, even today. Chris is considering requiring Level III certification to provide better assurance that guys won't ride inside the out of bounds area marked by the buoys along the shore.

You will find as you spend more time riding particularly in the ocean, waves, chop, etc., that with the right sized kite, with enough wind from a good direction side or side onshore ideally, you can ride out through this relatively narrow launch corridor. If it is a bit light, your kite a bit too small, etc. you may have to tack to get out. You can do it but that is only one of the reasons why this unique launch is an intermediate or stronger area. You won't be able to touch bottom a relatively short distance from shore there or really anywhere else off the coast of SE Florida. Sometimes there are storm formed sand bars but I wouldn't count on them being there.

Jupiter, Delray (a bit further south) should be a bit less restrictive on riding. Both areas do have riding guidelines to try to preserve access. Still, no matter where you are you need to stay away from bathers and people on the beach once you have a kite in the air.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi