View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010, 07:51 PM

Alright Craig here's the skinny!

Gabe, Doug, and myself planned the attack at Sand Key Jetty South side.

Cold, understatement. Gabe in the Kokatat, myself in the Gul, and Doug in a 4/3. All of us with hoods, gloves, and booties. Standard.

Gabe decided to try my new 9M Switchblade 2011. Fresh in the plastic.
Doug was on his new 7M Flexi Ion. Bad ass kite.
I unwrapped a 7M Crossbow.

It felt like Christmas out there.

I believe it was holding between 35-40 but gusty. Very gusty.

Brett from Restaurant Hapa just happened to be there to surf, but the surf actually sucked, so Brett stayed to watch for fun. Wish he had a camera.
(Brett has the finest food in Tampa Bay, hands down)

Doug got in first and immediately started to get busy. He looked very comfortable.

I was surprised that I was a bit overpowered on the 7M CB.

Gabe was in the same boat with the 9M.

I think Doug won with his kite as he seemed to have the most control. He loves those things and I can see why.

I was frankly, just barely hanging on. I couldn't hold my ground on the beach very well, and Brett needed to grab the back of my harness and help me down to the water. He was a bit freaked by that.

Wish I had a 5M. Would have been perfect.

The waves were pretty unorganized, but it was just fun to have that much power in your hands.

We proceeded downwind and I saw Doug and Gabe grab some nice waves. They were breaking 4 lengths of the buoys on the outside. Pretty unusual for that downwinder, but how often is it blowin 35-40.

The wind was onshore, and would have been alot better if it had more side to it. It wasn't as cold as I thought and actually was breaking a sweat in the suit. Doug....well....he froze!!!!!

Our end point was The Lighthouse, except Gabe was just cruisin and blew right past it. Doug followed, and well I stopped and got out. Self landing in that kind of wind was no joke.

I packed up and drove down the beach and got those clowns. I think Doug was hyperthermic. Really. It was some funny shit.

We had a blast and would do it again tomorrow if we could, but life beckons.

By the way, ordered my Kokatat and can't freaking wait to have some dry feet. That should be epic IMO!!!!!!

Missed you bro. The last time this group got together was Honeymoon Gale Force day.

Remember.....we sat around all day and one by one everyone left.....well except us and boy did we score. Best wave sesh on this coast to date.

Please make sure when you get back on the water, that Gabe, Doug, and myself role out the red carpet for you.

Good times!