Thread: Sz vs nwz
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2010, 05:02 PM

Let me explain my vote.

I think the matter of riding inside the buoy on a normal day with no one at the beach catching a wave and during a race are 2 different things. I do think the race organizers should keep everyone outside them. So you are telling me in a downwind race, a racer who is riding inside the buoys is going to slow down and take out cause they notice someone swimming? I really do doubt everyone will do this. So you are creating an advantage in the race for those that would coast right upwind of bathers, and creating a disadvantage for those who are for those who will tack back out when they see bathers in the buoys. Also people are going to be pushing themselves, making them more likely to have an unfavorable situation next to shore. A bunch of kiters ripping down the coast will attract attention and spectators. Don't you think everyone should be setting the best example possible? What about the "I didn't know it was a 'swim zone' I thought it was a 'wake zone'. I like many will enjoy the wave break when there is no one on the beach.

But if we look at four major components I think the gray starts to turn black.
1. Distance race creating more chance of human error / gear malfunction.
2. Extra spectators watching the kiters.
3. The competitive spirit and adrenaline clouding judgment.
4. Rider racing down unfamiliar waters not sure what buoys are what.

This is my opinion on the matter and would like to thank those responsible for putting together this event and apologize for those who did not present there thoughts in a respectful manor.