View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpack View Post
Was at EB this morning. Saw a 13.5m. About 9knots. It got up at first and then right before my eyes folded in half (center inward, tips up and outward) and came down straight down from 12oclock position.

I was about 10 yards offshore just flying 16m. I came in after he got it relaunched. Me and the other guy there noticed that it didn't have a center strut. Assumption ---> Would that make it prone to folding in half like that?
probably just severely underinflated (?)
i think any kite will "taco" or invert if underinflated

no center strut = less weight, less turbulence in the middle of the canopy, seems to work fine with these kites...plus packs smaller, faster to rig...

while in the OBX recently I watched a guy (probably 190#) using an 11.5 while I was on my 7.5 (25-30 kts). 11.5m Kite seemed very stable, but he was way too juiced IMO. Before I launched my 7.5 Kahoona I observed other great kites (Waroo's, Nemi's, SB's CB's, etc..) with 5-7 struts and higher aspect and "forward flyers" were noticeably less stable and harder to handle in the very gusty conditions. I was really surprised to see how stable and steadily powered the 7.5 Kahoona was...like it was just another normal day.
rvillate@msn.com
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas