Thread: Winter Kiting
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 06:24 AM

Thanks TShooter and Rick,

I am looking at some of the stats on IKitesurf. I see the daily graphs for the months of the year that I selected. Great, but are there more general summaries for the months of Nov-April, which give a record of what has happened for the past four or five or even ten years in that month? Windfinder and Windguru have those type of functions (even though their data is only available for a few years/months), but I am not seeing it on iKitesurf?

I live in light wind country so I am familiar with what it's like trying to juggle your schedule to get a session in. From what I see on iKitesurf, it looks like 20 knots is closer to the norm for fronts, although 3 kiteable days a week doesn't seem to be an exaggeration, but it does depend on where you are... and where you are willing to drive to. And of course, what happened last year(s) is no guarantee for this year.

I know the Keys has the best wind. But, as I understand it, there are no beaches, it's expensive, it's isolated, requires a boat for some launches, and as far as sight seeing goes, it's more limited, sort of like Hatteras. So I don't consider it a long term stay option, although a two week stop there sounds fabulous.

This leaves me back at the question, where do I go on the mainland? Is driving between Jupiter and Ft. Lauderdale a good option, or driving between Melbourne and Jupiter a better option? or driving between Ft Lauderdale and the Keys the best?

Dunc