Thread: Winter Kiting
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2009, 08:46 AM

Thanks BigR and Rick,

I went to South Padre Island for two months three winters ago. The temperature was cool, and the wind was okay, but not great. Three good days a week, in Florida sounds pretty good. Driving for the best wind & direction is pretty common, here in Manitoba, so I could handle that. One side or the other of Lake Winnipeg (13th largest freshwater lake in the world) can be better depending on wind direction, and many of us drive from Winnipeg to the best spot for any particular day.

I have looked at the Winter Guide to Kiting in Florida. It's very useful, and I also like the descriptions of launches and contacts that you provide in the travel section. I have used some of the historical data at Windfinder.com but I haven't used iKitesurf.com much because of the fee.

I don't know about you but even though Hawaii is a gorgeous place, the small islands might leave me feeling a bit cramped after a month or so. Perhaps one day I'll go there and see.. The idea of moving around in South Florida appeals to me. I think Florida has more to offer in terms of things to do, especially since my wife is a non-kiter.

I was really surprised to find that the Gulf Coast is cooler and less windy than the Atlantic Coast. At least that's what the data I have seen seems to be saying. I would have thought it was the opposite. Anyway, Pompano Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, and area seem to have great temps and the good probability of winter wind. Are these areas really crowded in the winter? Can you find affordable rents, not too far from the beach?

Dunc