View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 03:29 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Conditions will vary along with rider abilities. Still, kites with fully inflated leading edges can create a lot of wind drag on the water. In my experience at some times in the distant past, too much drag to swim in over much of a distance or in very strong winds either. If the wind is dead offshore or even side offshore to where using the kite to sail in isn't practical, the only choice for a self rescue is to swim in. When I had to do this, I took some, not all, of the air out of the leading edge (only, leave the struts alone), I then towed the kite in from one corner. There was no way for me to make in against the offshore wind, pretty light wind too without lessening the profile. I either held station or drifted offshore despite swimming continuously. I usually secure the chicken loop from my kite into a footstrap of my board to deal with those issues. If there is boat traffic or tangle hazards, another approach might have to be used. If I have to pass through a surf zone, I may modify things further. Not sure why you would want to but you can even reinflate the leading edge by mouth, somewhat. Never fun but doable.

I think all kiters should wear impact vests or suitable pfds for kiting conditions. At times like this they really show their value. They can be a big help the rest of the time with more routine procedures as well.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 08-17-2009 at 04:37 PM.