View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I don't want to monopolize this discussion, it is a relief to see this subject discussed and with such insight by so many. Wasn't always this way by a long shot. I wanted to repost this from kiteforum and back to you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI

Photo by A. Patterson
http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2342449

I don't think it is a good idea to head offshore in response to a squall for kiters. Hitting water can take you out as nearly shown above. That fellow was dragged about 3000 ft. across the water unconscious after being smashed into it in a squall gust in the Great Lakes. Miraculously he lived due to a fluke of the wind dragging him to shore along with some rapid and effective response from his kiting buddies including some amazing CPR. There have been still other cases. How about the fellow lofted 800 ft. in Cabarete and the man in Portugal lofted over 1500 ft. horizontally? There is a much easier, reliable solution.

If you think you are going to get too much wind, Emergency Depower immediately and swim. None of us should ever be in a location from which we can't swim in from unless you're doing something unusual, like racing to another country. If we are, something is wrong and needs to be remedied.

Avoid the high wind emergency. It isn't that hard as a rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskas
Condoleances to families and friends

A question. If you´re on the water and see bad weather approaching, is it better to try to head to shore and land the kite (but with the risk of the strong winds hitting when you´re on the beach) or actually head out further from the shore (where you may get lofted and teabagged but at least shouldn´t hit anything hard)?

I´ve often opted to stay on the water and "ride it out" unitl the winds calm down a bit before heading to shore and landing.

What do you guys think?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi