View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uchuche View Post
Definitely Rick, I would not recommend anyone try to ride while storms are approaching and one should definitely not use these techniques to intentionally ride in unsafe conditions. That's just asking for trouble.

But it's also important to understand that kiters can get hammered on a clear sunny day with nothing obvious on the radar just as they can on nasty rainy day.

A seemingly non-threatening column of summer rain or a thin band of clouds and approaching blue sky may be the only clue that something is about to happen.

Telling yourself you will pull your release if you get into trouble to is not really a reliable survival technique.

Safe kiting.
Great discussion topic and excellent points. A big problem is that most people with limited experience don't understand the proper protocols and procedures in these emergencies. Unfortunately, as an instructor, it's hard to train and condition students to understand all of these things in 2 or 3 lessons. I just had this conversation yesterday with a former student - if I said "OK, today, before we go any further, we are going to spend 3-4 hours solely on QR reflex drills and try to cover all the situations of a QR activation event - OK that will be $300"...he laughed and said, "yep, that would be a hard sell!"

What I do attempt to accomplish is basic understanding and practical drills of the QR release, discuss some different scenarios that can develop...AND make them PROMISE me that when they get their own kites they will practice this in no wind, then light wind, then medium wind every time they fly the kite...so they understand the challenges, and the way different kites behave, and in different conditions...AND so that it becomes an easy reflex and does not require too much panicked "thinking".

From my own experience, the first time you get lofted you may not even have a chance to think about the QR (as Tom suggests), and if you land and are conscious that's your next big chance to hit your QR while the kite momentarily depowers, and in another second and it might be too late again.

Another thing you might want to add is about kites beginning to go into loops: If the kite loops more than 5-10 times you are probably stuck with a perpetual helicopter blade spinning until it either hits something or self destructs. Amazingly the kites and lines hold up to a lot of punishment though and will keep on looping. If you hit your chicken loop QR you should not expect the kite to depower as described beautifully in the video or brochure...the 4 (or 5) lines are now twisted into a solid rope with 1000 lbs of tension on them and there can be no differential movement of lines to flag the kite as designed. At this point you need to think about your leash QR and make some rational choices about releasing your kite to the wind.

Of course it's better not to get caught offshore in squall conditions to begin with, but as always...the more room you have created for yourself as a safety net the better. Remember DISTANCE is your friend. And in these extreme squall conditions the first thing is to be away from the shoreline or hard objects. That's why ships often head to open water in storms. It's much safer without a lee shore.

Another thing: If you are in the situation that you have to release your kite you are now reduced to very little flotation available. Kiteboards do not float much and will not be much help, surfboards are better. If you do not have your board and you do not have some extra flotation this can be a big problem in violent waves, current, and blowing water in heavy squall conditions. Some impact vests have more flotation than others, but they all usually have some bouyancy to help you. And having the proper wetsuit can be critical too.
rvillate@msn.com
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas