Thread: Florida access
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009, 09:25 PM

Danny,

It is pretty simple. Big huge dark cloud line marching towards you. Goes from sunny to down right scary. Wind starts to pick up, time to put up a kite right????

Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Craig and I sat there for 30 minutes, looking at radars, realizing that going out is pointless. He left, and about 20 minutes after that, well......a dude flies off the beach and into the water for a solo session.

The insane part of watching this all unfold, is another guy pulls up, and starts to rig. This guy is getting worked, ditches kite, full on rescue situation and this other guy is rigging. I drive over before I leave and say "your not going out right????" He says, "well I can't even get my kite to sit down, I can't tell which way the wind is coming" I looked in sarcasm and said "shouldn't that be a good sign not to go?" He was actually thinking about going. WOW!!!!

In this situation, a sign wouldn't have made a difference. But I do believe a sign is a good idea.

Use radars, look at the sky, observe changes in the weather. Take a moment to access your conditions. Wind direction, speed, weather....basic fundamental stuff.

With that said, there was lighting a few weeks ago out there, and we all came in. With it still thundering and lightning, a guy walks up to me and Craig and ask if we think its ok to head out. While asking the question, there is thunder sounding. We said "there is your answer." After walking around for 5 more minutes he launcehs. I am wrapping things up with a student and another guy ask me to launch him. I respectfully declined. A good lesson for my student, that you are not obligated to launch someone.

So I left those 3 riding in an electrical storm. I drove off wondering what if something happens. You just have to move on and live your life. You can't control others. Millions of people everywhere are self destructing in one way or another. Some just want to get there sooner I guess.

It sounds shallow, but when I see someone do something that may harm them, but not cause others harm, I really don't care. That is there choice. I can only do so much.

On a gear/safety note....after talking with the guy, his safety failed him. He used his O-Shit line which for a Flexi is attached to the end of the bar. The kite just looped and was too much power to deal with. After a few death loops, had to eject. Alot of kites would have behaved like that. These O-shit handles attached to the end of the bar work fine under normal winds, but really don't work when it starts really nuking. So don't rely on those to get you out if you think weather might dish out some crazy wind. If I were riding a Flexi, I would ride it 5 line just for that reason. Just so stoked to see that some manufactures are starting to address this issue with SLE safety systems. Best has the Redline, Cabrinha IDS, SS has the below bar safety, and I am sure there are others. Hopefully it will be a standard just like a QR.

Last edited by Steve-O; 06-07-2009 at 09:42 PM.