Thread: Florida access
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009, 07:27 AM

If you are genuinely upset Steve-O, you are in a position to get some stuff done.
You could get a sign out at EB for starters. Since EB is a central meeting point for many, just having some simple recommendations in writing on a sign, agreed to by most a few years ago, would do more than I think many of you realize. It would help to instill some basic standards in people's heads. It's possible these reminders would stick in people's heads at other riding areas.

Also, having an agreement among all local instructors about what standards they promise to hold -themselves- in regards to riding behavior in an effort to be proactive role models would be even more valuable. Most of the instructors follow some simple guidelines already (a few don't). Things as simple as staying 100 feet offshore, wearing a leash, not launching/landing in crowded areas. Nothing too stringent.

If I were in your shoes, I would try to get the sign out at EB. At the very least it's a symbolic gesture of actually taking a step. Then, I would get the WSW instructors to agree to some simple standards. I would have them agree to it on here. Hopefully they will actually practice what they agreed to.
You never know, maybe it will affect some change.

I know this for sure, not doing it won't affect anything.

So if you are genuinely concerned and not just venting, those are some proactive steps that have been suggested repeatedly over the years for the instructors/role models to tackle. I am not saying you do nothing, btw. But I do feel that those suggestions have the most bang for buck, if carried out.

I personally just enjoy each day as I can and don't worry much about this anymore.
I realized (and gave into) the idea of loss of access being inevitable 2 years ago.
What affected my decision the most was witnessing a void in proactive actions among some guys "that matter". Many guys that matter do a great job. But, some still don't (on a state wide basis) and these guys actions (imo) seem to over ride everyone else's. Once a few guys start jumping boats/piers and slashing 5 feet from kids... well... hell... I may as well rip 50 feet away. That seems safe (get it?). Actually responsible is a far better word. Safety smafety. I am more concerned about being responsible toward fellow citizens.

Whatever you do, enjoy the ride.
If we are honest about it, this stuff just doesn't matter to 95% of riders, and what will be will be. This is SO obvious to anyone paying attention.
So I wouldn't go stressing too much.

But if some agreements are made on signs or on here, I (and I suspect many) will follow them in a heartbeat and feel good about it. Some won't.

Last edited by Unimog Bob; 06-07-2009 at 08:20 AM.