Thread: Florida access
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009, 06:57 AM

Default Florida access

I saw two guys tring to fly a 12m Fuel in a public park yesterday( the kite was a few years old, the safety system was an outside line running through the small holes in the end of the bar) the wind was very light witch was a blessing, When I was walking up to the guy trying to fly the kite I heard him shout to his buddy (who was trying to launch him from directly downwind by throwing the kite up) that they needed more wind. I told the guy that he was lucky because if there was more wind he would proboably be hurt by now.

The amazing thing is this guy told me he had done an "academic" part of a kiteboarding lesson and was aware that it could be dangerous, he also told me he did other dangerous things like riding motorcycles and atv,s........ "CLUELESS"

Anyhow ,I gave him a card and told him to call me in 3 months when the season starts and that I would help him out and walked away.

The point I am making is that as an experienced kiter, I feel a responsibility to approach someone who does not know what they are doing, or who is acting irresponsibly and to let them know what they are doing "wrong". After I have done this , if they are receptive to help or idea,s I will do what I can to help, but if they are rude or just plain idiots, I will turn my back on them , walk away and let my fellow kiters know my concerns re. them.