View Single Post
Old 11-22-2008, 09:42 AM

Here is some info I have gathered regarding Sand Key and Sand Key Park.

The city of Clearwater has jurisdiction throughout all of Sand Key including the park. The have an ordinance that no board sports are allowed at all on the area of Sand Key including the park, except there is a surfing area near the jetty. Technically surfing is allowed, but kiting is frowned upon.

You take your chances basically kiting there. If you are in the park, you might get run off, you might not. If there are lots of surfers in the water, use good judgement.

South of the park along the residential stretch of Sand Key, you may get approached by a condo nazi that will give you a brochure stating the no board ordinance and be asked to leave, or the police will be called.

I will start my downwinders there regularly and before anyone figures out what is going on, I am gone.

Just south of Sand Key there is Bellair Beach. No regulations there, but also no parking either.

I have tried to contact the police to get an answer, but I left it alone as it may just bring more negative attention to the subject.

Across the street is the sailing center, and they don't really like you kiting there either, however, I have never been asked to leave yet.

Another day in the life of a kiter.