View Single Post
Old 10-31-2008, 12:04 PM

Rick - I was at that event 7 yrs ago and that is what made me think about getting into kiting. 2 kids and a long divorce later and I finally started last year.

I also have wondered why not many people kite there and finally started riding there this Fall. I think it's a great spot. There is a sandbar a ways out that really smoothes the water at low tide. At high tide it gets a little choppy but still not quite as bad as the open Bay. There is a lot of room to ride so it doesn't get congested like other spots i.e. Lassing. The water is mostly shallow, especially towards the North, but it does have some deep(overhead) spots toward the South. You can blaze on the flatwater then ride over the sandbar and play in the Bay swells so it is pretty versatile. The South end where the breakwall starts can get like a washing machine near shore due to the waves hitting the wall and then moving back into the Bay so try to avoid this.

I've only ridden on NE and E so i'm not sure how it works on SE(pier?). On a NE if there is too much North it can get blocked a bit from the land and this makes it gusty until you ride out further. This spot is usually not quite as windy as some of the spots further down the Bay i.e. the Skyway or East Beach but when the wind is on it gets pretty good. Since I live in N. Tampa this spot saves me a bunch of driving time so I think I will start riding there more often especially after work.

Sean - give me a call about Saturday. 813 368-4417