View Single Post
Old 06-19-2008, 11:36 PM
Skyway Scott

Considering Sam is one of my favorite riders and I respect him, I hate to disagree.... but... the PaG sensor should be named PoS sensor, imo.

For the PaG sensor, I usually take the lulls and average them with the average to get the real wind speed at PaG. I totally ignore the gusts. (Hope that makes sense)
PaG has always had a tendency to read high, imo, due to it's location on top of the Hurricane and the funneling effect the roof has on the wind as it is directed toward the sensor. Crappy location for a sensor, absolutely crappy.
It definitely has a tendency to "turn 11 knots into 16". It's better at approximating strong sea breezes, which may be what Sam was saying.

I don't have access to that sensor anymore, b/c there is no way I will pay iKite to get shi.t info and false positives, which is what PaG does.
I actually started pretty much ignoring that sensor and just using the BN9 cam, as Sam referred to, a couple years ago. I only use to use PaG to show a relative "spike" during sea breeze season, then would "ground truth" that spike with the BN9 cam to look for white caps. White caps don't lie
I think you already realize that Steve, from reading your post, and you saved yourself some major frustration today and gas money not chasing a ghost. Good call!

Anyway, that's just my opinion. It could be wrong.