Thread: Summer Doldrums
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2008, 01:09 PM

Default Update on McCormick Cable Park

Went out there today to check it out. To the untrained eye(like mine), it doesn't look that far along, but Mike McCormick told me it would be open to the public by the end of the month. Don't be fooled by the artist's rendering on the website, it's still pretty Beverly Hillbillies (before they struck it rich). It doesn't have the Disney theme park feel like the ones in Orlando. However they are progressing and the important thing is the cable, right? He also told me that they will be licensed for beer and wine! Another plus.I said I didn't think anybody in TBKA drank anymore (than usual). As far as parties go they haven't really established when and what days they would rent out the cable.
Mike has not tried kiteboarding yet, but would like to try. One of his good friends is Shannon Best, from Shannon's wakeboarding days. Mike's planning on going to Key West soon, so maybe we can hook him up with Paul and the Kitehouse. I'm thinking ahead here. Would be cool to have a member of TBKA who owns a cable park!
If anyone wants to check the place out,here are some good directions. The ones on the website suck. I spent 40 minutes in the hot sun on my Harley, cruising up and down the same roads till I finally found someone to ask.

I4 from Tampa just past the overpasses for I75, take exit 10 (SR 579). Get in left hand lane. Make a left at the light. Follow 579 for 1.1 miles to Pruett Road. Take a right and proceed 1.6 miles east. You will go thru a 4 way stop sign, pass an elementary school on the left and McCormick Lakes are on the left. A fun thing to do after you exit I 4 is see how many turkey vultures on road kill you can count. I have 4.

Frank