View Single Post
Old 04-24-2008, 12:25 AM
Skyway Scott

Damn, you guys still up!! I saw you posted before I hit the button.

Yeah, an outgoing (opposing) current of 3 knots will make it feel like it is blowing at least 5 knots more. So, when we are out there in the pass (if the wind is coming straight down the channel and we are tacking back and forth) 15 knots is going to "feel like" about 20. I have seen people ride in 4 knots of wind with 3 knot opposing current.

As you said, Conch, if the tide was going with the wind, (an incoming tide) the opposite effect would hold true.
Now 15 would feel like 10

That only happens when you are directly in the pass. 100 yards north of it feels very little, if any, impact from that pass in terms of current and it's effect on our apparent wind. In the pass though, it's pretty unreal.

The guys in St. Augustine are always keenly aware of this phenomenon, and plan accordingly with the tides. I talked to Daryl today about 20 minutes before he got off work and he was looking at the tide charts and bummed that he had no opposing current in Matanzas Inlet. It was blowing 30 there, but the side shore current was about 6 knots. That makes it tough to hold ground.

What makes the pass so awesome is that when the tide is going out, it also stacks the waves, as Sam said.
So, we get better waves, apparently more wind, AND we are being pulled upwind the whole time in the pass. It rocks.

Just beware, if you have a failure, you are going to drift out to sea, quickly. It's no joke. I have swum back in twice (have to swim perpendicular at first, and then in) and each time took at least 1.5 hours. I feel better out there with my surfboard (buoyancy) I can tell you that.

You are right Sam, tomorrow night should rock. I will be riding for sure. Going to try to get Donna out for her first night ride.

Last edited by Skyway Scott; 04-24-2008 at 12:59 AM.