Thread: fatality in SPI
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Skyway Scott

IDK, if no one is downwind and Steve wants to, why not be hyper-vigilant as opposed to not?I think he is still leashed to the kite, if I understand it correctly. I have QRd or just let go of the bar a few times on "iffy" launches. Sometimes it's better to not even have a "process" begin, than attempt to get out of it. As long as he is not jeopardizing someone downwind, I can't see a problem with being cautious and cutting off an opportunity before it has a chance.

I have released my kite a few times almost instantly on a self launch and once on an assisted launch, when the kite seemed a little off. I don't spend too much time making sure something is wrong, cuz the fact is, once it's obvious and you try to correct, it's sometimes too late (if strut is wrapped).
If it doesn't seem right, I just bail almost instantly, without much thought. My reasoning is that I would rather not give it a chance to loop once.
I have learned from experience that once it loops (in 20 or more, especailly) during a launch, you are going to go on a pretty bad ride I prefer to not even give the kite a split second of opportunity. Sure, a couple times I looked a little foolish. Once was actually with the Ozone. It had a rear line tangled and I saw it immediately upon launch and just "gave up" instantly. The guy that launched it gave me some lip and ridiculed me. I remember thinking I don't care as much about his opinion as my health. Anyway, just saying, I too have played it hyper-vigilant a few times.