Thread: fatality in SPI
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2008, 10:12 AM

I don't have any death loop stories, but I have witnessed a few. I think that kites with bigger/more intricate bridle and pulley systems are more prone to wingtip wraps. Also the amount of throw on the bar may have something to do with the line around the bar scenario, as well as making it more prone to inversion.
The kites I fly (FDK's) bridles are simple and close to the LE and I have never had a problem. I aslo use a SS Surefire spreader bar, which has a simple "slap and go" release. It is harder to hook in and out, but to me its a fair trade. If I swing under the kite and it starts to Hindenburg- I hit the release instantly. It has always given me an extra way out(on any kite) and has never failed. The spinning leash was great "technology" for a few months, but not feasible for modern shredding. One good point about the leash is that it was attached to the spreader bar and impossible to rig wrong.
I would like to see manufacturers inprove on the design and offer a Surefire type safety(with bigger hook), bungee leash attached to spreader bar, and a side to side swivel for toeside/blind riding. Using high quality, marine grade metals would be a plus also.
BTW, the slap release is on the left,and if you hook the other CL safety on the right, you have options for releasing with either hand.