Thread: fatality in SPI
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2008, 11:24 PM
Skyway Scott

I've been dragged by looping kites several times (unfortunately).
It sounds like Bryan may have seen the last one, about a month ago at EB.
I was trying to do megaloops all day (not so successful on most), and one time I pendulum'd under my kite so much the lines went slack momentarily.
I was steering the kite so hard that it allowed one of the rear lines to wrap around the bar. When the line went taut again, I was now attached to a looping kite that couldn't be steered (not so great).
It looped about 5 times (it wasn't ever going to stop because of the diameter of the loops) before I could Q'r out of the CL.
I was getting dragged in pretty fast (thank Goodness I was at least 200 yards out to start). Once I QRd the CL, the kite was dead momentarily. But, it then litt up again. When it did, I pulled the QR on the leash instantly. Matt was right next to me and saw most of it.

It was blowing 25 or so. If I was close to shore, I would have been injured very badly, no doubt about it, because I was basically body surfing until I QR'd due to the power in the kite.

I have had kite lines/bridles get "stuck" on the struts most near the wingtip of a kite after it crashed, Rick, and then start looping.
The worst offender (of the kites I have ridden) was the 2006 Ozone Instinct. It did it at least 3 times to me. I am confident Ozone fixed the problem in 07 and 08's kites. It was a real concern for me on the 06 though.