Thread: fatality in SPI
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2008, 08:07 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRyder View Post
Yes, it was a scary moment. It was probably blowing 25 with gusts over 30. Surf was building, and was probably 4-5ft at the time. It was getting to the point where people were leaving the beach because they were getting sandblasted.
Rick, yes, I was getting pulled by my leash only. At the time, I had it secured to the ring on the back of my seat harness, so when I was getting pulled, I was getting pulled backwards and under water. It is a Cabrinha release, so it was easy to grab and punch out. Now, I have moved it to the spreader bar, so if I do get pulled, it won't be backwards.
Thank you, you anticipated my next question. That was the point of attachment. I saw Andre Phillip pulled backward almost into a rock jetty with shortly after suicide leashes started being used at the Velocity Games in 2003. The idea of being pulled backwards at lightspeed is disturbing enough, being submerged and still setting the kite free is a very good thing. Well done! Don't blame you for moving the least attachment.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi