View Single Post
Old 04-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Skyway Scott

It sounds like the primary thing you did wrong was launch a 13m kite in too much wind, and really gusty wind at that. It was blowing solid 20 plus, probably more like 25 and a 13m was too big.
We were at East Beach (just up the road), I was LIT on a 9m and most were on 9s.
Big Beach is exceptionally gusty on due South winds. Wind comes over land and the pier just south of where you were, making the wind total garbage.
I learned that one the hard way about 5 or 6 years ago out there, getting lofted immediately after a self launch.
I will only ride BB once it hits SW and I personally will never ride BB on a due South again. SSW is even sketchy out there.

It sounds like you tried to get the "right" wind speed, but because of the location of you on the beach, you may have been blocked down low on the ground from the "real wind". Also, my opinion, add at least 5 knots to what a wind meter says on a SE, SSE, S or SSW. It's pretty much always noticeably more windy up where the kite is.

Good call on notifying the rangers about the situation and being responsible in that manner.

Glad you are okay. It could have been a lot worse if you were lofted on the beach.

This aerial pic shows how due souths go over land and the pier before they get to you at BB. Really gusty in there on due S. BB is basically a "hole" behind land on S.... ugh.....