Thread: CL QR mods
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2008, 10:26 PM
Skyway Scott

I had a mini-kitemare recently. I know Matt and a few saw it. It was on a 7m in about 25.
Long story short, distance was my friend. I have been riding for quite awhile and have been whacked or close to it enough that I don't panic and know where my CL is... blah.. blah.....

Even given that, it took me a full 4 seconds and 50 yards of getting dragged and bopped around to find and activate the Best QR during a death spiral scenario.

My reason for posting this is that I can promise you, no matter how much you practice or ride or alter your gear, in a death spiral or tea bag from hell scenario, it's going to take you longer to activate your QR than you might think. Your arms and body are usually getting thrown about fairly violently and you may very well miss your first attempt at the QR (especially a side mounted finger loop).
This means if you are less than 70 yards from shore when the incident happens, you are probably screwed.

In this particular case, I had a rear line go slack coming down from a kite loop with the bar turned greatly. It wrapped around the bar and then went into a death spiral. The kite was not going to crash, it was looping too tightly and pulling me moderately quickly through the water.
I was glad I got the QR and that it actually worked.

I mainly bring it up because distance is your best QR mod, trust me.
Having an awesome rig and no distance won't do you any good. Having a good QR and distance at least gives you a chance.