Thread: Kite Lines
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2008, 08:33 AM
Skyway Scott

Wilix,

I am just curious, did you take a lesson? Everyone seems to be concluding that you have not, due to this question about line lengths, but I haven't actually heard you say that on here.

If you had a lesson and you didn't get rigging basics in the lesson, that's a real shame. Some instructors are getting lazy (or greedy) imo, and just putting you out there on the kite right off the bat and letting you get a feel for kiting, then going to the next guy. 3 guys a day style.
That's not a lesson, that's just popping 'em out to make money.

Past lesson or not, get one from someone who gives a good one and get back on track.
Steve-O is one example of a good instructor. That class time he mentions is a good investment to hear about stuff, including safety.

I know the sport looks easy and safe, but few sports can turn on you as fast as kiting in terms of getting totally screwed. It's not until most people get their ass handed to them that they believe this statement, no matter how many times others warn them. It's sort of natural. A truly wise person learns from other's mistakes and advice though, and doesn't need to repeat obvious mis-steps.
No need to learn how bad you can get hurt by actually riding in the am"BOO"lance.

Here is an example of an exceptional athlete not having all the training and understanding necessary to stay out of harms way.
It's obvious the kite hits harder than a defensive lineman and that he just didn't know this.

http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t...jupiter+injury

Good luck. Have fun, but be safe.