View Single Post
Old 12-27-2007, 12:42 PM

Thanks For all the advice, Last year we had some pretty windy days, I recall one morning I was at big beach I estimated the winds at 25-30 in the morning and they tapered off to about 18-25 later in the day, I was powered nicely on my 9m c kite. and riding back and forth close to the beach (big bch Ft desoto) I know the seas can get high on windy days. There was a new guy on the beach w/ 13m waroo. I ask him if he was ganna launch it in these winds which I thought were to stong. He said yes, and then surprisingly he started asking me (who had been kiting a whole couple months) where to hook his leashand other gear ect. I told him I was not familiar with the bow kites and he should know. well long story short he got hooked up ask me to help him launch which I reluctantly did. ( safer than letting him try by himself) he got going then went down. He did not know how to relaunch his new kite and was drug (what looked like underwater from mid big beach to almost the pier.) when he got close I swam out and unhooked his leash which he had attached to the bypass ring on his chicken loop. His eventually recovered his kite down the beach and he lived, he was lucky.
I know it can be dangerous and having people to help if needed is good. Maybe I will head to where some people will be, I jsut don't like to burden or make people nervous w/ my novice skills. However I have practiced alot of body dragging and self rescue techniques in light wind. Lets hope I never have to use them.