View Single Post
Old 10-03-2007, 09:09 AM
Skyway Scott

I spent 10 minutes pointing out the safety systems and speaking about how safe kiting is on video.
The video taping was witnessed. It was all edited out.
In addition, I was misquoted several times in the written piece. This interview, unfortunately, was not witnessed.

Thanks for assuming before asking what happened, Paul.
In addition, I posted this on the forum yesterday, with an explanation, I guess you didn't read about it on here.
If you think I would not speak of safety and attempt to do otherwise, you are hugely mistaken.

http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=4739&page=5

I was originally told the story was going to feature safety and their goal was to show how safe kiting is.
In addition, they told me they wanted to discuss the growth of the sport, number of riders, etc.
I spoke on the phone for about 15 minutes. My quotes are actually inserts of things I didn't even mention.
The most obvious being the size of the kite quote. I had no idea what kite size was in use, so, why I would comment on it is beyond me.

Even with the misquotes, I think that rider error is obviously mentioned in the article.

I wrote Keith yesterday and spoke with others in attempts to get this lame ass shit off the 'net and out of the paper. He wrote me back saying basically "Thanks, you were a big help".

I would recommend no one talk with the press. They obviously will slant whatever you say.
I went into this after speaking with RickI for a half hour on "plan of attack/what to say" and took it very seriously. If they are going to twist how I phrased it, good luck with your efforts on getting more accurate quotes.