View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 06:31 AM
popeye

I rode my 12M all day sunday also... it did actually invert once while I was standing on the beach... almost took me out and I ended up cutting up my feet when I got lofted (as it popped back into shape). This one was my fault, I forgot to pull the stopper down to keep backline tension. BTW the wind today (where we were) was a LOT more than Sunday when it spiked. I got to the point that I could not hold down the 12 any more and had to put it in the water for 10 minutes so I could keep from getting dragged to shore. Scott was getting close to being overpowered on the 7m for a little while too.

As for inverting in mid air, yeah I do sheet out during the jump near the apex. Thats the secret to boosting the waroos really high... Pull in when you pop, and then pump the bar twice at the apex ... each time you pump it, it will lift you another 5 feet or more.

BUT... I hand't pumped the 7m yet on this jump ... I wasn't at the apex. I sent it hard, and it ripped me up but at around 20-25 feet, before I could redirect it, it inverted and shot straight towards the water! I had the stopper set, and the kite wasn't even depowered much ... it was only a 7m in about 35mph.

It was pretty terrifying... kite heading towards the water and I am going in head first at mach 5 into about 3 feet of water.

I think it was actually flying too fast for itself when i sent it hard. Does that make any sense?

Weird.