View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 01:13 PM
popeye

Yep... dragged about 100 yards into shore, lofted, and dragged (on stomach while kite looping) another 40 yards between the signs, trees, and moving cars (!) until hitting the mangroves at the back of EB.

Board was still 100 yards out in the water. I was standing (walking for my board) on a sandbar in waist deep water when it went crazy.

I don't think kicking my feet out of the bindings would have even had time to sink in though because it all happened so fast... but maybe if I were used to kicking them off. I've seen quite a few people dragged/lofted onto shore with bindings still on their feet. Then again I may have been able to hold the kite down if I'd had my board on my feet (maybe but maybe not) ... instead I was dragged like a rag doll.

BTW, this was 2+ years ago on an 18M C kite when it suddenly went from 13 to 35+, onshore winds... as Bleighty mentioned... stupid QR failure.

Lesson: Crash kite in water immediately (and repeatedly) when it goes ballistic and THEN release or unhook it.

Last edited by popeye; 09-24-2007 at 01:47 PM.