View Single Post
Old 09-13-2007, 07:45 AM
Skyway Scott

I am still curious about the front line v. the 5th line flagout on a hybrid.
I am honestly clueless about the difference and hoping for input on this.

Actually Danny, the Instinct relies on front line flagout, even though it has a fifth line. It's also has a "span line" or anti-inversion line attached to the fifth line. This span line runs from one wing tip to the other, near the trailing edge.
The fifth line doe split off like you mentioned to form a "tpripod" at the LE, with three points of attachment. This is primarily to allow the 5th line to be used to trim the angle of attack of the kite effectively using the 5th line trimming system. If it didn't split off, it'd probably just fold the LE.
To my knowledge, it's the only kite that uses this trimming system (with 3 points of attachment to avoid the LE from "folding") and also the only one with the the span lines to help to stop inversions.
It makes the kite look very weird and most people look at the kite and then never want to ride it, 'cuz it's different

Ozone riders are notorious for mods, and some did modify 06 kites for 5th line flagout.
Interestingly enough, the first year of the Ozone (06), it had neither front line nor 5th line flag out systems.
Again, not picking on one brand, could pick on them all... this is another example of "shit hits the fan safety" kinda being overlooked until riders spoke up and Ozone is very safety conscious, imo.
Once riders spoke out, a 5th line flag out kit was offered.
I did the front line flag mod on my 06 and Ozone incorporated that mod on their 07s.
I am trying to figure out why they went front line instead of 5th line for flagout.

I haven't been in any thing outrageous on any hybrid or the Instinct (Instinct in my mind is a highly adjustable 5th line C kite with a very simple bridle) yet, hence part of my ignorance as to what would happen in say 50 knots if I flagged the kite out to one of the front lines.

Last edited by Skyway Scott; 09-13-2007 at 08:29 AM.