View Single Post
Old 02-21-2007, 08:10 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I prefer Jupiter to the Keys myself and perhaps Ft. Pierce even more than that for the waves. Still, with only one trick, jumping, waves are a lot more interesting than flat water to me. Still, the variety offered by the Keys is welcome at times, so don't get me wrong.

If I was trying to train someone just starting kiting though, particularly children, I wouldn't take them to Jupiter. The shore break there can be harsh and unforgiving, just getting out can be a bear and that is for experienced riders if there are larger waves running. NE is almost onshore there, a common direction this time of year. Also, they can have a strong longshore current to go with the rest of the factors. So, if you like waves as much as I do and aren't bothered by some adverse conditions in getting out, have at it and enjoy. If your goal is to bring your children into the sport, I would head to the calmer waters of the Florida Keys or the Miami Flats. You might hook up with Paul Menta of The Kitehouse for some prime time out on the Key West Flats or in Miami. It costs but the caliber of the instruction and learning environment might be well worth it.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi