View Single Post
Old 01-11-2007, 08:51 AM
tomstock

You guys did the right thing helping them out. Part of being a beginner is being ignorant to what can and will happen when things go bad. You can't blame them for playing it off as no big deal, they just don't know yet what it feels like to be dragged 100 yards across sand and rocks unable to disconnect from an out of control kite.

I was the same way when I started... I was overconfident and fearless, and I am also lucky to be alive as are most of us that have been through a few REAL kitemares. I know E-Bone, Josh, Bayflite, Scott, Jay, Raul, etc, have so they know what I mean. C'mon Toby we could have done this to you for all of the antics you've pulled since you started! Riding backside and looping the kite into trees, the down winder recently where all of you guys lost your boards .. that fact is that this sort of thing happens when you are starting out and it's part of the learning experience.. so there is no reason to jump all over them.

In 8mph winds, I really don't think this was was a big deal.. it was merely an inconvenient learning experience for both riders. No need to get on here and roast them publicly... just a description of what happened is enough.

I think there is a difference between self regulation and public humiliation. We don't want this sport to turn into surfing where newbies get beat up on the beach for dropping in on someone else's wave.... While I don't like the idea of overcrowding, I can't live with the fact that we may be chasing beginners away and crushing their dreams of learning to kiteboard. I've had this happen to me in other sports and it's a horrible feeling that would not want anyone else to feel.

Save the yelling and public beatings for the experienced rider who KNOWS BETTER and does this sort of thing out of complete disregard for himself and those around him! You know, like jumping and landing on shore, jumping and landing on other riders, and tangling lines, etc.

So hey guys, if you are reading this, no harm done but be careful.

Roy, remove the battery and soak the phone in fresh water. Let it dry out for a few days in a sunny warm place and put in a NEW battery. It will work fine. Been through this many times.

Looks like a beautiful day to ride. I hope you guys are enjoying DP while I'm sitting at work

-tom

Last edited by tomstock; 01-11-2007 at 09:01 AM.