View Single Post
Old 12-20-2006, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstock
Awesome she will love that kite!

I hook my chicken loop to my board handle (board covered with sand) and walk out and launch my kite, resting it on one wingtip... then I casually walk back and pick it up and hook in. THAT ALONE has made my waroo worth the investment. No more sketchy self launches in the dark!

I land the same way. Why crash a kite to land it when you can just walk over and put it down. I dont understand the need for all of these bizarre self launch and land techniques people are doing with these kites.
I have never done this.. but i have seen it done and think its prob the safest way to self launch.

When I first got my waroo i did the typical fold n sand method at least 20 times and never had a problem. Landing I just flew to the edge and dropped the kite on its wingtip then grabbed the top inside line and pulled the LE down to the sand.

folding the waroo wingtip does require a lot of sand and i could tell that it was putting a pinch on the LE bladder.

after a while i realized that i could just do a hot launch and never looked back.

rig downwind of the kite, turn the kite a bit so one wingtip catches some wind..hook in.. walk around to the far side and start pulling .. as soon as the kite starts to catch the wind, pull on the far outside line and the kite will flip to its wingtip and launch.. simple and easy.

one time i flipped the bar the wrong way and the kite did a loop and then launched.. that was scary.. but happened so fast i didnt have a chance to shit my pants before the kite was in the air and i was set.

i pay more attention to how i rotate the bar before i try to launch now..

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa