View Single Post
Old 12-07-2006, 05:51 PM

Default I'm LIT...on a 12?

So today I went to clearwater beach to soak up some of the wind and get some more time under the 'ol kite. I figure....18k-20k on my 12m Spectrum is right in it's range. So I launch the kite and get the feel of the wind while I head out to the water to practice. I have the kite completely depowered on the strap with the bar depowered as well (Slinghot Profire). The kite didn't work me or anything but it had way too much power. I didn't get lofted but the gusts were too much to control. I would get stable..then a gust would come, and I would slide about a foot in the sand. After body dragging for a bit I brought it in and put the kite down. Another kiter, an Aussy by the name of Tom, came into shore and set his kite down and gave me some pointers. I noticed on his 16m Xbow, his depower strap was about twice as long as mine. He was able to park it at zenith and talk to me w/o problems. Is it possible that I just maxed out my kite's wind capability? What gives? I would think my kite would have felt much lighter than his in this type of wind. Any pointers/advise gentlemen?? thanks -sean