FKA Kiteboarding Forums

FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://www.fksa.org/index.php)
-   Let's Ride! (http://www.fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Cypress? (http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?t=7478)

kuds 11-15-2008 09:10 PM

Cypress?

I saw some kites at cypress today. I assume it has re opened. It looked from the road that the beach might be flatter/wider-better for launching near the water instead of the grass? How about the parking? I have not kited there in years-please post or PM me if you have kited there recently- I will probably start riding there again this winter. Thanks.

Bruce

Wolfie 11-16-2008 01:17 PM

I will have to try and get out there as well! Have been loving Picnic island, but Cypress with a big beach would be nice.

Erick 11-18-2008 10:43 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures of the new Cypress Beach. I saw Big G and Rob riding last week and they were loving the new beach.

LSUkiter 11-18-2008 01:07 PM

Do you guys basically ride it on a north or south only? Or can there be a little East to it? I drive by it all the time, and have wanted to ride out there. Being fairly noobish(yes, have taken many lessons), it looks like its got good potential for me. Not crowded with kites, seems fairly safe, and I can bring the girlfriend and the kid, and the kid will enjoy the sand much better than the muck at EB. Plus its equidistant there vs EB or skyway

C. Moore 11-18-2008 01:17 PM

East is no good. A Strong Southwest is the best. a big thanks to the city of Tampa for installing the 2 sliders, I mean Groins. :)

Steve-O 11-18-2008 08:44 PM

For those of you that have ridden there, how is it on a true north wind?

Is it gusty?

Other than N. County Beaches and Skyway South, it seems everywhere else sucks on a North wind.

I would guess Cypress is gusty, but tell me I'm wrong.

Man is it going to be FN cold tomorrow morning.

Anyone venturing out?

Big G 11-18-2008 08:56 PM

North is gusty. Even N-NW is gusty. W-NW is about as North as you want it to be for an enjoyable ride and not wake up the next morning with a backache.....or maybe that just comes along with getting older.

bayflite 11-18-2008 09:38 PM

lets not 4 get what that place did 2 cordomo.
North?
i heard somone else tell me it works on a north.
north?!
WTF?!

LSUkiter 11-19-2008 09:32 AM

So, being fairly new(with lessons), I'm still learning about all of the wind patterns and locations based on wind. The post of the google maps with site information was very helpful. I guess the couple of things I'm starting to figure out from reading the forum and talking to people, is 1) North winds are gustier and more sketchy and 2) other than the beaches, there's not really a good place to go on a N. I've been avoiding the beaches so far, cause being a noob, I foresee me losing my board on the beaches.
The main question is, why are Norths so gusty in this area? Is it simply the nature of a North wind, or is it something specific to the area?

Kitespear813 11-19-2008 10:27 AM

North is ok if your north of clearwater. I aggree about cypress, i ride there alot and you need sw-wnw only. other wise your asking for trouble. Try north beach next time. its shallow so losing your board is less likely.